There are many reasons why the use of trekking poles by hikers, backpackers, and snowshoers has increased dramatically in the past decade. By transferring some of the weight into your arms, they make uphill climbs and trekking easier. By offering stability on downhills, they reduce stress on your joints, especially your knees and ankles. But where do most individuals buy hiking poles?
We conducted a Twitter survey asking individuals where they buy their trekking poles. In summary, 87% of responders buy their trekking poles at Amazon.com. Amazing huh?
Twitter Survey: Where do you buy your trekking poles?
Not surprisingly, the majority of responders preferred to shop for trekking poles online. Approximately 94% either bought hiking poles at Amazon.com or another website. The rest bought their hiking poles at a physical location.
Because of the numerous advantages and benefits, more and more people say they prefer online shopping over conventional shopping these days. It’s important to understand the psyche of the online shopper.
There are many reasons for online hiking gear retailers to be sanguine about the future of online retail. Here are some consumers’ reasons for buying online, in their own words:
1) Convenience: Where else can you do shopping, even at midnight, wearing your jammies? You don’t have to wait in a line or wait till the shop assistant helps you with your purchases. You can do your shopping in minutes even if you are busy, apart from saving time and avoiding crowds. Online shops give us the opportunity to shop 24 x 7 and also reward us with ‘no pollution’ shopping.
2) Better Prices: You get cheap deals and better prices from online stores because products come to you directly from the manufacturer or seller without middlemen involved. Many online shops offer discount coupons and rebates.
3) Variety: One can get several brands and products from different sellers at one place. You can get in on the latest international trends without spending money on travel; you can shop from retailers in other parts of the country or even the world without being limited by geographic area… These stores offer a far greater selection of colors and sizes than you will find locally. If you find that the product you need is out of stock online, you can take your business to another online store where the product is available.
4) Fewer Expenses: Many times when we opt for conventional shopping we tend to spend a lot more than the required shopping expenses, on things like eating out, traveling, impulsive shopping etc.
5) Comparison of Prices: Online shops make comparison and research of products and prices possible. Online stores also give you the ability to share information and reviews with other shoppers who have firsthand experience with a product or retailer.
6) Crowds: If you are like me, you would like to avoid the crowds when you do the shopping. Crowds force us to do a hurried shopping most of the time. Crowds also create a problem when it comes to finding a parking place nearby where you want to shop and going back to your vehicle later loaded with shopping bags.
7) Compulsive Shopping: Many times when we go out shopping we end up buying things which we do not require because of the shopkeepers’ upselling skills — or we’ll compromise on our choices because of the lack of choices in those shops.
8) Discreet Purchases: Some things are better done in privacy. Online Shops enable me to purchase undergarments and lingerie or adult toys without the embarrassment that there are several people watching me and my choices.
If you want to buy great hiking gear or trekking poles, make sure to visit Amazon.com for the latest deals.